About the job
Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
Summary Of Duties
Lineman Trainees are responsible for the construction, maintenance, and installation of high voltage transmission, catenary, and signal transmission systems.
Duties include attaching appurtenances, relocate lines away from existing lines, shift poles requiring new foundations, install anchors and foundations, shift under traffic, move poles with wires attached, splice existing appurtenances, and install new foundations and certain designated power lines and signal transmission systems.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age and a high school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in heavy physical labor.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license on the date of hire.
- Must be able to obtain CDL license within 90 days of hire date.
- Applicants must be able to perform basic mathematical computations including fractions and decimals.
- Ability to pass required training with written exams including two weeks of safety training and required department training modules over a 24-month period to progress to qualified lineman.
- Must read, write, & speak the English language clearly and have the ability to communicate using telephone and radio.
- Basic climbing, rigging, and lineman experience is a plus.
- Basic mechanical aptitude and knowledge of hand tools.
- Electronic/electrical background or education is a plus.
- Previous electric traction railroad experience preferred.
- CDL License
Applicants must be able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
Communications And Interpersonal Skills
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Requisition ID: 151854
Posting Location(s): New Jersey
Job Family/Function: Engineering
Relocation Offered: No
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR
- 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical