About the job
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Summary Of Duties
An M/W Repairman Helper ensures compliance of all railroad, safety, operations, and federal railroad administration rules and regulations.
Hourly Pay Rate:$34.53
This Helper will troubleshoot and perform heavy repairs to all types of equipment components including engines, transmissions, gear boxes, hydraulic pumps, motors, valves, cylinders, working components, conveyors, booms, buckets, and electrical systems. Solve work related problems, make decisions, provide instructions, drive heavy duty service trucks, often pull a trailer, and understand mechanical operations of machinery.
- Experience with pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical systems including the ability to read schematics is preferred.
- Experience in other mechanical oriented occupations will be considered.
- Must pass a Skilled-Craft Battery test in order to be considered for an interview.
- Must have a valid driver’s license on the date of hire.
- CDL License preferred.
- Must be able to read and speak the English language because this position requires following government regulations.
- Some welding experience is preferred.
- Ability to read hydraulic and electric schematics is preferred.
- Ability to lift 50 to 80 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Ability to comprehend and comply with instructions
Communications And Interpersonal Skills
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Requisition ID: 108344
Posting Location(s): New Jersey
Job Family/Function: Engineering
Relocation Offered: No
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR
- 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical