The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) is California’s fire department and resource management agency. The organization is comprised of nearly 8,000 permanent and seasonal employees. The mission of the Department is to serve and safeguard the people and protect the property and resources of California.
- Under the direction of a Caltrans Maintenance Supervisor, the Caltrans Equipment Operator II (CEO II) will operate and service vehicles requiring a Class A commercial driver’s license with tank (N) endorsement, and performs work related to highway maintenance, structures maintenance, construction, and Landscape Maintenance. When not operating the specified equipment, the Equipment Operator II may perform any of the duties outlined under Caltrans Equipment Operator I, Caltrans Highway or Landscape Maintenance Worker, and perform other related highway maintenance work. The CEO II maintains knowledge of all current mandated and applicable safety training and standards, policies, practices, directives, and expectations, and complies with all departmental training and safe work practice requirements. The CEO II may be assigned to other operations units and/or geographical areas as operations needs dictate. Overnight travel out of town up to 80 percent of the time may be required to meet operational needs. The incumbent will operate, and service highway maintenance equipment identified as Levels of Equipment for Caltrans Equipment Operator I and II. The incumbent will operate appropriate equipment to conduct asphalt and concrete repair and preventative maintenance operations related to SB-1. Will carry out the installation and repair of signs, fence and guardrail and may perform striping, pavement marking, culvert, and bridge-related work. The incumbent may be required to perform snow and ice control tasks including truck, grader, or rotary plowing, repair and removal, chain control operations, apply de-icing materials, and the construction and repair of traction control devices. May be required to operate a mobile sweeper as the designated operator for all cost centers within the Superintendents’ area. The incumbent maintains knowledge of all current mandated and applicable safety training and standards, policies, practices, directives, and expectations, and complies with all departmental training and safe work practice requirements.
- Eligibility for hire is determined by your score on the Caltrans Equipment Operator II Exam. You must be on the state examination list to be eligible for these positions. The Caltrans Equipment Operator II Exam is located here: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=9PB20
- Requires a Class A commercial driver’s license with tank (N) endorsement.
- The position(s) require(s) a Drug Screening be passed prior to being hired.
- This position(s) may require medical and/or audio clearance prior to being hired.
Qualification & Experience:
- Candidates that believe they meet the minimum qualifications based on a pattern of education from the classification description (specifications) must provide a copy of their degree, transcripts, license, and/or certificate, along with the State application (STD. 678) to be considered for this position.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A