Website City of Columbia Government
This position performs professional accounting work in the preparation and maintenance of the City’s fiscal records and reports in accordance with GAAP; must have a working knowledge of GASB; performs analyses of accounts and assists in the preparation of financial statements to include the City’s Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA); assists external and internal auditors as needed and serves as liaison to other City departments in the resolution of accounting problems; performs related duties as assigned. The incumbent works within a general outline of work to be performed, and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
- Attends training, meetings, seminars and/or workshops to enhance job knowledge and skills; and
- Provides professional accounting support in the preparation and maintenance of City fiscal records and reports;
- Assists in SEFA preparation;
- Assists with the compliance review of City grants to include funds made available through hospitality tax, tourism development fees, state accommodation tax and others.
- Collects, prepares and reviews a variety of financial information for external agency reporting requirements; gathers and prepares financial information for all departments as needed;
- Prepares adjusting and closing entries; balances accounts; assists in the preparation of year-end financial statements;
- Assists external auditors with year-end closing and analysis of accounts;
- Monitors and reports on the status of expenditures and revenues; •Prepares financial transactions and reconciliations on a daily, monthly and yearly basis;
- Assists with compliance and the annual monitoring of grants received by the City to include HUD, DOJ, SLED, DOT and others.
- Prepares various monthly, quarterly and annual fiscal reports; prepares and maintains various accounting spreadsheets;
- Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns, complaints and requests for assistance from City personnel elected officials and citizens regarding grant and audit matters;
- Performs general administrative/clerical work as required, including but not limited to attending meetings, preparing reports and correspondence, entering and retrieving computer data, copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, answering the telephone, etc.;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Serves as liaison to other City departments in the resolution of grant accounting problems;
- Ability to apply logical principles and thinking to solve practical problems within or applying to a unit or division of the organization; and
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of personal computer equipment working in a mainframe environment as well as skill in the use of Microsoft Office preferred, utilizing Outlook, word processing and spreadsheet software programs;
- Knowledge of handling or using machines requiring moderate instruction and experience such as computers, and software programs such as word processing, spreadsheets or custom applications;
- Ability to provide information, guidance or assistance to people to directly facilitate task accomplishment; may give directions or assignments to helpers or assistants.
- Ability to apply principles and practices in a wide range of administrative, technical or managerial methods in the solution of administrative or technical problems; or the coordination of entry-level managerial work; requires general understanding of operating policies and procedures and the ability to apply these to complex administrative problems; requires continuous, close attention for accurate results or frequent exposure to unusual pressures;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or closely related field;
- Ability to read and interpret technical instructions, procedures, manuals and charts to solve practical problems; composing routine reports and specialized reports, forms and business letters with proper format and grammar; speaking compound sentences using normal grammar and word form;
Company: City of Columbia Government
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Columbia, SC, US
Application Deadline: N/A