Website City of McKinney
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to supervise, direct and manage street and maintenance crews and the operation of heavy equipment. Employees in this classification perform skilled and supervisory work. Position is responsible for maintenance, repair and construction of street, drainage systems, and alleys. Performs related work as required.
- Operates simple to moderately complex equipment, i.e. back hoes, loaders, paving machines, front-end loaders, gradalls, concrete vibrator, box blades, jack hammers, motor grader, skid steer loaders, sand spreader, track hoe, roller, milling machine and chip spreader.
- Operates various types of trucks in the hauling and distribution of materials. May transport heavy equipment to and from job site.
- Leads work activities of crew in the field; leadership duties including instructing, assigning, reviewing and planning work of others; monitoring standards; coordinating activities; allocating personnel; and recommending employee transfers and discipline as appropriate. Keeps supervisor informed of problems and developments.
- Participates in establishing traffic control devices such as signs, barricades and cones. Guides traffic at work sites.
- Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Performs preventive and simple corrective maintenance on mechanical equipment.
- Responds to emergency situations after hours or on weekends.
- Assists personnel under charge in all facets of tasks performed as needed.
- Schedules excavation of utility cuts.
- Comply with all written City policies and procedures.
- May issue tools and supplies as necessary and ensure safe working conditions within work areas.
- Assists supervisor with employee interviews, performance appraisals, discipline, etc.
- Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fractions; ability to interpret graphs.
- The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information, such as vehicle maintenance manuals, line locators, and City policy manuals.
- Requires the ability to operate and control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials requiring complex and rapid adjustments.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Requires ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Requires the ability to exercise the judgment required in situations characterized by repetitive or short cycle operations covered by set procedures or sequences.
Qualification & Experience:
- Training with emphasis on and two (2) years experience in work zone traffic control such as flagging, lane closures, sign placements and road closure procedures.
- National Incident Management System courses (Certificate IS-700 and IS-100) required.
- Training with emphasis on and two (2) years experience efficiently operating simple to specialized equipment (i.e. chain saws, backhoes, loaders, paving machines, front-end loaders, gradalls, concrete vibrator, box blades and jack hammers).
- Valid Class A CDL license required.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Three (3) years experience in the application of crack sealing streets.
- Training with emphasis on and two (2) years experience efficiently operating various types of trucks in the hauling and distribution of materials.
- Three (3) years experience in a leadership role in construction of new asphalt and concrete roads and maintenance of existing asphalt and concrete roads.
Company: City of McKinney
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: McKinney, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A