Website City of McKinney
Under the supervision of the GIS Manager, the GIS Analyst conducts geographical research and analysis; consults with users to determine GIS needs; creates and maintains GIS data, maps, web maps, web services, scripts and programs; should have strong skills in cartographic design, analytical geography, programming, and communication (including strong writing skills).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Documents and logs all work-related activity in support ticketing system and facilitates best practices for customer service support.
- Develops and codes programs using SQL, Python, and/or R to automate common GIS tasks and procedures.
- Creates, develops and maintains citywide GIS data, maps, web maps, web services, scripts and programs using GIS tools, and relational databases; should have strong skills in cartographic design, analytical geography, programming, and communication (including strong writing skills).
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, and resolves GIS application problems; communicates with internal and external technical resources to resolve end-user issues; provides guidance to users on methods for correcting reported problems.
- Documents procedures, processes and creates tutorials and training materials
- Works toward maintaining awareness of new technologies and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
- Serves as department contact for service, regardless of the assigned application system(s) issues.
- Responds to requests for data and GIS support from user departments.
- Ensure data quality and metadata standards are met.
- Conducts geospatial research and analysis using various GIS analytical tools (i.e., spatial analyst, 3D analyst, business Analyst); analyzes results to support department decision-making.
- Provides technical support in the use of ArcGIS products and GIS-related programs to accomplish and support intra-departmental and inter-departmental projects and programs
- Proficiency using SQL, Python, and/or R to automate common GIS tasks and procedures.
- Comply with all city policies and procedures.
- Ability to plan, coordinates, and organize work; set priorities and meet critical deadlines
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Ability to multi-task in a high activity/energy professional environment that includes multiple and concurrent projects and project deadlines, and occasional interruptions and walk-in appointments.
- Ability to resolve problems in a timely, efficient, and effective manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to embrace and embody the City’s core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency integrating, analyzing, and evaluating data for GIS-based decision support
- Ability to focus on achieving goals, including those involving external departments, agencies, and the public.
- The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates, and customers with respect.
- Technical proficiency in the following: ArcGIS Desktop and various extensions like 3D Analyst, Network Analyst and Spatial Analyst.
- Demonstrated ability creating and customizing web maps and web applications in an enterprise GIS.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software, and peripherals.
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution in Geography, Computer Information Systems, Database Administration, or related field.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience with GIS software and technologies, proficient in the use of ESRI ArcGIS and related extensions, HTML, Python, SQL, and Microsoft Office Products.
Company: City of McKinney
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Government Administration
Job Location: McKinney, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A