Website City of Midland
The Fire Fleet Specialist II works under the administrative direction of the Fire Department’s Fire Fleet Specialist. The Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) is responsible for performing a variety of skilled work in the repair, overhaul , preventive maintenance and operational readiness of public safety equipment and oversees and maintains an effective fleet maintenance program that prolongs the life of fire department apparatus, ensures safe operation of all equipment and completes repairs in a timely manner.
- Makes repairs and performs routine and preventative maintenance on all Department vehicles and equipment, both in shop and on-site.
- Maintains complete and accurate maintenance and repair records for all apparatus and equipment.
- Visually and manually checks fire and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) vehicles and equipment to diagnose problems.
- Performs road tests on vehicles in order to assure proper operating levels.
- Verifies that proper repairs are done on fire and EMS vehicles and equipment sent to outside vendors or repair facilities.
- Operates computer to document repair work and maintenance on a daily basis.
- Monitors and instructs accordingly all safety-related issues as related to the shop area or any location where maintenance is being performed.
- Services all Fire Department vehicles, standby power supplies such as auxiliary generators , f ire pumps and their components as well as other complex fire apparatus on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Inspects equipment and vehicles for common maintenance problems and monitor fluid levels.
- Diagnose and repair complex repair problems within accepted guidelines .
- Replace fire apparatus components to include but not limited to, electrical systems, suspension, driveline, hoses, belts and specialty parts.
- Maintains communication with members of the Fire Department to ensure apparatus and equipment is properly cared for and maintained.
- Conducts or facilitates apparatus pump tests (both UL and In-Service type test).
- Ability to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to read and review such items as professional journals and publications and legislative data.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate firefighter personnel to assist in maintenance work.
- Knowledge and familiarity with various outside repair agencies capable of servicing heavy-duty fire equipment.
- Ability to develop and maintain accurate written or computerized records .
- Knowledge of methods, equipment , and tools used in vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems for gasoline and diesel engines.
Qualification & Experience:
- A minimum one-year experience in the automotive/truck repair field.
- Must attend ongoing EVT training pertinent to fire and EMS apparatus .
- A valid Texas driver’s license with an acceptable driving record for the past three years ; and have the ability to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver License (COL) within 90 days of employment.
Company: City of Midland
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: McAllen, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A