Website City of Norman
This job classification has been designated as a safety sensitive job classification in accordance with the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana and Patient Protection Act, 63 O.S., § 427.1 et seq., (OSCN 2019), effective August 29, 2019. This means employees in this job classification can be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination if they test positive for marijuana components or metabolites, even if they possess a medical marijuana license.
- Participates in special training for probationary firefighters and in regular fire service training to learn, practice and maintain adequate level of knowledge in the application and use of numerous pieces of equipment and apparatus and learn new firefighting techniques and practices.
- Responds to emergency situations and performs fire extinguishment and control activities, ventilation of structures, and rescue of trapped persons.
- Provides adequate flow of water to the fire and connects additional hose lines to fire hydrant connections in order to develop additional fire streams at emergencies.
- Performs salvage and overhaul activities to prevent and reduce smoke and water damage to property and contents.
- Performs life rescue activities by entering, searching for, and removing persons from hazardous situations and performing emergency medical services as necessary.
- Acts as first responder to medical and other emergency calls.
- Responds to emergency incidents involving hazardous materials or water rescue.
- Maintains equipment and apparatus through routine inspections, cleaning, and performing minor repairs to prolong life of equipment.
- Maintains a clean and orderly fire station by performing housekeeping duties, building and grounds maintenance activities.
- Under supervision, conducts inspection surveys of public and private occupancies to ensure adherence to city codes and ordinances to allow familiarity with structure in case of emergency call to the structure.
- Assists occupants with pre-fire planning.
- Under supervision, participates in fire prevention education classes presented to the public.
- Performs related work as required.
- Must be able to gain knowledge of firefighting theory and practice in order to function as a firefighter at a level normally acquired through completion of thirty (30) college credit hours and basic firefighting training in a state certified program.
- Skills: Working and interacting with others. Performing strenuous physical activities for long periods of time.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicants pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in a fire related field is preferred. National Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification preferred.
- Selected applicants must obtain an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Oklahoma State License within one year from the completion date of the Norman Fire Recruit Academy.
Company: City of Norman
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Norman, OK, US
Application Deadline: N/A