Website City of Norman
Selected applicant must pass background investigation, physical examination and drug screen.
- Supervises technical personnel; interviews and hires personnel; instructs employees in correct methods and procedures; trains employees in the safe operation of equipment; plans, assigns and directs work; monitors and inspects work in progress to ensure continuity and timely completion of work; reviews and evaluates employee performance.
- Reviews daily reports submitted by Construction Inspectors and Utility Coordinator, notes problem areas, maintains records and prepares reports on inspection activity and status of construction projects; recommends changes on plans.
- Manages construction projects; coordinates with Capital Projects and Development Engineers to ensure that adequate construction quality control is taking place.
- Reviews construction plans and coordinates with other departments relating to utility relocation projects and project phasing. Assists Public Works managers, engineers and project managers with administration of capital improvement projects; advertises and evaluates bids for construction contracts; prepares City Council agenda items and memorandums for Council; issues change orders and prepares necessary documents for Council approval; processes contractor pay claims.
- Conducts periodic site inspections to ensure adherence to contract as well as applicable codes and ordinances and state and federal rules and regulations; provides solutions to construction difficulties.
- Coordinates construction projects with citizens and stakeholder groups. Explains and interprets construction codes and ordinances; advises and consults with the public concerning problems resulting from construction or repair activity; communicates with contractors regarding problems that occur on job sites; answers questions and makes recommendations. Coordinates projects with other state and federal agencies. Coordinates with utility companies and telecommunication services.
- Provides technical support during preparation of fiscal year operating and capital budgets; monitors expenditures to ensure compliance with budget.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Analytical skills necessary to apply technical knowledge to analyze data, interpret City construction codes and ordinances, make decisions and recommend a course of action.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to provide effective leadership to subordinates, maintain a variety of internal and external contacts and work cooperatively with superior and subordinate staff.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Communicating clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Construction Management, Public Administration or related field.
- Three years of experience in Public Works construction project management and utility coordination and relocation, including two years supervisory experience is required in order to gain knowledge of departmental processes and procedures and general supervisory skills.
Company: City of Norman
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Bethany, OK, US
Application Deadline: N/A