Website City of Richmond, Virginia
The City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities is seeking qualified applicants to fill Engineer I positions in the Richmond Gas Works (RGW) Division. The Engineer I will perform technical services related to pipeline compliance, operations & maintenance, and construction related activities for RGW natural gas facilities that must conform to the strict requirements of state and federal pipeline safety regulations, as well as company procedures.
- Communicating with supervisor and organizational leadership to maintain knowledge of current industry practices with respect to Federal, State, and Local laws regarding the distribution of natural gas.
- Evaluating data in scientific journals, suppliers’ catalogs, government standards documents, and other sources of information on materials, processes, and innovations to update knowledge of available resources and industry best practice.
- Examining all factors involved to confirm that standards will result in legal compliance, employee and public safety, and the durability of final product or procedure.
- Communicating with user personnel to confirm knowledge of standards and cooperation of various department work groups.
- Preparing specification sheets, and standard drawings designating parts and materials acceptable for specific uses, using knowledge of primary engineering disciplines and any related disciplines.
- Reviewing standards and procedures prepared in cooperation with other departmental specialists to assure consistency with existing standards and those in other specialized disciplines.
- Working to establish engineering and technical limitations and applications for items, materials, processes, methods, designs, and engineering practices for use by engineering, construction, and maintenance.
- Incumbent will have a basic knowledge of the mechanical and pneumatic principles related to Natural Gas Distribution Systems;
- Demonstrate a general understanding of basic functions and operations of various types of equipment associated with the distribution of Natural Gas and the distribution infrastructure;
- Demonstrate a basic ability to research applicable topics and prepare technical writings for development of operational standards as well as instructional material for field staff use;
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of various National Mechanical Codes (ASME, ASTM, ANSI, API, etc.) and the Code of Federal Regulations as they apply to Natural Gas distribution systems;
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of construction plans, material specifications, construction terminology, construction methods and requirements for the installation of gas distribution systems and their components.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (on first day of active employment);
Company: City of Richmond, Virginia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Richmond, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A