Website City of Sacramento
The City of Sacramento requires all newly appointed employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Candidates seeking an accommodation from this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please Note: a candidate must successfully pass a thorough background investigation, including a criminal history check for job-related convictions, fingerprinting, polygraph test, psychological test, credit check, and a drug use history to be considered for this position.
This position requires attendance in the City of Sacramento Police Department Community Service Officer (CSO) Academy. The CSO Academy is typically held in the Winter (late December/early January start) or Summer (late June/early July start). Appointment to the Community Service Officer I position will not be effective until the start of the CSO Academy.
The Community Service Officer I (Limited-Term) performs non-sworn, duties in support of a variety of police operations. In addition, attends and participates in the Sacramento Police Academy or Community Service Officer Academy in order to receive basic law enforcement training in various laws, police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid, and acquires physical and emotional skills.
Effective and professional communications through written, oral, and mechanical media.
Identification and utilization of principles and techniques that promote community service, crime prevention, and appropriate behavior.
Physical fitness and defense techniques programs.
Safely and effectively accomplishing the patrol function consisting of patrolling a designated area of the City on foot, on a motorcycle, or in a patrol car in order to preserve law and order, and to prevent and discover the commission of crimes.
Basic criminal investigation processes and techniques, including the identification, collection, and preservation of evidence, courtroom testimony, and witness interrogation.
Effectively dealing with common vehicle violations by learning to recognize the violations, locating the violations in the Vehicle Code, and safely and professionally contacting the violator.
Proficient application of the rules of evidence.
First-aid, including Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation techniques (CPR).
The Emergency Vehicle Operation Course (EVOC) which includes skid training, high speed pursuit, defensive driving, and emergency driving.
Firearm training in order to learn good judgment and competency in the use of deadly force, ancillary police weaponry, and weaponless defense.
Enforcement and procedural aspects of criminal law and the legal obligations inherent in enforcement of those laws.
- Read maps and mapped information.
- Write clearly, accurately, concisely, legibly, and with correct English grammatical construction and spelling.
- Operate a police radio, mobile data computer, and office computer equipment.
- Read and interpret complex technical documents in English.
- Learn and support community organization and mobilization efforts which facilitate achievement of the department’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Apply selected knowledge (i.e., laws, statutes, court decisions, department policies, criminal investigation theories, etc.) in collecting, organizing, and analyzing a variety of information in order to decide on an appropriate and reasonable course of action.
- Analyze problems and rationally take effective action in emergency and stressful situations.
- Acquire, through training, knowledge of the geography and demographics of the City and common law enforcement problems.
- Acquire, through training, knowledge of contemporary and approved principles, practices, and procedures of police work, state laws, City ordinances, and first-aid.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers, sworn personnel, other City employees, community and neighborhood organizations, and the public.
- Observe, assimilate, remember, record, and recall pertinent facts and details.
- Plan and effectively present material orally to diverse groups.
- Interact courteously but firmly with the general public.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Company: City of Sacramento
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Sacramento, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A