Website City of Sunrise
Work is performed under general direction of the Transportation Supervisor.
This is skilled vehicle operation work in transporting passengers of a public transport system. Employees in this class operate passenger buses over prescribed routes within the City or on special charters (such as special events, camp program…). Additionally, work involves responsibility for the safe operation of passenger vehicles such as vans, minibuses, station wagons or automobiles in transporting clients. Incumbents typically transport individuals to clinics, doctors or other treatment facilities from private residences. Some employees in this class could also transport clients undergoing rehabilitation treatment at medical facilities or take clients shopping for basic necessities.
- Proceeds to starting point of assigned route, checks time schedule and begins to board passengers at designated point.
- Operates passenger vehicles to transport City residents to physician’s offices, clinics or other medical treatment facilities; transport clients being treated under rehabilitation programs to clinics or other treatment or diagnostic facilities.
- Keeps interior and exterior of vehicles clean and neat.
- Starts vehicle, checks and adjusts equipment for proper operating condition; inspects body of coach for unreported damage, drives vehicle into roadway while making further checks.
- Answers passenger questions on connecting routes, passenger discharge zones, schedules, fares and provides general information as requested.
- Submits reports on traffic accidents, passenger injury, vehicles or equipment malfunction and service complaints.
- Operates radio and related equipment at dispatch desk in order to communicate with drivers and the public for the timely pick up and return of residents, dispatches work assignments and receive reports from drivers, receives calls, schedules pickups, verifies pickups and returns and schedules bus driver routes, assists with emergencies, notifies appropriate law enforcement agencies about accidents, instructs bus driver on proper procedures to follow and gives information to public relative to routes, schedules, and lost and found items.
- Records required information on trip sheet, accounts for monies received, makes reports of any unusual incidents and turns in materials to cashier at the end of the shift; ensures that assigned vehicles are clean and adequately supplied with fuel; reports need for maintenance to supervisor.
- Operates door lever for doors; makes correct change, checks coin deposit.
- Takes clients to and from shopping for basic needs; transports clients to and from Social Security or veterans offices and other social service needs.
- Picks up assigned route materials from the supervisor; ensures that currency is in the correct amount and that route and schedule cards, trip sheet, are included.
- Ability to work outdoors under varying temperatures, inclement weather and/or other adverse conditions.
- Ability to walk, stand and sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to see in the normal visual range with or without correction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to hear within normal audio range, with or without correction.
- Ability to climb and descend stairs.
- Physical capability to effectively use and operate City assigned commercial motorized vehicles.
- Ability to load, carry, lift, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to keep records and prepare reports.
- Ability to assist passengers in a courteous manner.
- Knowledge of defensive driving techniques and the safety precautions applicable to passenger transportation.
- Ability to make changes and account for receipts.
- Knowledge of first aid.
- Knowledge of the prescribed rules and regulations of the local public transit system.
- Skill in the safe operation of passenger buses.
- Ability to detect malfunctions in a vehicle and submit without constant supervision.
- Knowledge of the primary, secondary and arterial road network of the local area.
- Some knowledge of radio dispatching techniques, knowledge of the schedules, routes, forms, regulations and procedures used in transit dispatching.
- Knowledge of motor vehicle laws of the State of Florida.
- Knowledge of the operating characteristics and service checks for diesel and gasoline powered passenger buses.
- Ability to understand, interpret and effectively carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain good employee, public and customer relations.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through personal contact.
Qualification & Experience:
- Two (2) years full-time (or equivalent) paid experience operating a mini-bus or larger scale motorized passenger vehicle in a passenger service capacity including some experience operating radio dispatching equipment.
- Clerical office/computer experience including Word and Excel, preferred.
Company: City of Sunrise
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Sunrise, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A