Website City of Sunrise
An incumbent in this classification supervises the permitting operations to ensure superior customer service is delivered while permits are processed in a timely, efficient, and transparent manner. Emphasis of the work involves scheduling and assigning tasks to staff, oversight of daily operations to ensure procedures are followed for processing permits, running reports for both departmental monitoring and outside agencies requirements, and monitor and track performance measures. This position requires the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and use tact and independent judgment to address escalated or unusual situations that require more advanced knowledge of policy and procedure to resolve. The incumbent is also responsible for coordinating information between other divisions and departments throughout the City. Supervision is exercised over Permit Service Specialists and Building Division Records staff through the observation of daily operations, customer service, audits of work performed, conferences with personnel, achievements of stated expectations and goals, and adherence to City and departmental practices and policies. This position is expected to work with minimal supervision and make independent work decisions based on experience and knowledge of departmental operations. Supervisor intervention may be necessary in extreme or unusual situations, difficult technical information requests, policy, or procedural matters. The incumbent will be held responsible for effective, professional, and administrative management of permitting operations by the Building Official. The incumbent’s work is reviewed through observation of operations, personal conferences, achievements of stated expectations and goals, customer service, and adherence to City and departmental practices and policies.
- Supervises assigned staff including creating schedules, assigning tasks, approving time cards and time off, and performing employee evaluations.
- Monitors performance measures and runs associated reports.
- Assists staff during daily operations where necessary and monitors workflow progress.
- Facilitates superior customer service and conveys information to contractors, design professionals, homeowners, business owners, residents, and various other individuals concerning the status of their permits via telephone, email, and the front counter.
- Assists permit service specialists in the review of permit applications, plans, and related documents submitted by contractors, design professionals, homeowners, business owners, and various other individuals for completeness and the minimum submission requirements and determines the correct permit type the applicant should apply for. This includes both hard copy and electronic submittals.
- Serves as a project liaison for larger projects, special projects, and for customers needing assistance in the building permit process.
- Serves as the City permitting liaison with the Broward County Alliance and represents City at professional meetings.
- Assists, when necessary, to input or verify permit application data in the City’s computer system for both paper permits and electronically submitted permit.
- Evaluates work flow processes for improvements and makes recommended changes to senior staff.
- Coordinates with the appropriate review agencies (specific disciplines within the Building Division, Fire Department, Planning Division, Engineering Division, Landscaping and additional Departments or agencies) and routes plans for review to these agencies.
- Manages contracts for various services required within the Division.
- Promotes teamwork across the Division and Department.
- Notifies appropriate parties involved in the plan review and permit application process of status throughout process, including but not limited to reviewers, applicants, and home owners.
- Knowledge of the ordinances, rules, and regulations that pertain to the issuing of permits.
- Knowledge of the costs and fees pertaining to each type of permit.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Skill in using Office and department software.
- Ability to meet the general public and contractors and to relay information regarding permit procedures and processes.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of assigned employees in a manner conducive to acceptable performance and high morale.
- Ability to analyze detailed information effectively in order to resolve permit issues.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with employees, builders, contractors, property owners, and representatives of commercial, industrial, and utility companies.
Qualification & Experience:
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible administrative experience, preferably in the area of construction permitting and public interaction.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in customer service that deals directly with the public.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook required; Must pass Intermediate Word and Excel assessment.
- Experience with Tyler Energov software preferred.
Company: City of Sunrise
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Margate, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A