Website City of Tampa
- Conducts fire prevention inspections of commercial, industrial and multi-family structures including childcare facilities, apartment houses, theaters, and places of public assembly; inspects existing structures and facilities under construction for compliance with fire prevention ordinances.
- Inspects for: placement and accessibility of fire exits; type, number and placement of fire extinguishers; heat from electrical service and boxes; placement and pressure of sprinkler systems and heads; use of required fire retardant materials; placement and functioning of heat and smoke detectors; conformance to occupancy requirements; and, other fire hazards and potential hazards.
- Informs owners, managers and other responsible parties of violations detected; explains corrections necessary and date by which corrections must be instituted; issues citations when voluntary compliance is not obtained.
- Conducts public information programs, explaining fire prevention and safety measures through lectures, demonstrations and audiovisual presentations.
- Receives classroom and on-the-job training in the inspection of liquefied petroleum gas installations for proximity to potential fire sources, fire containment provisions and adequacy of security measures.
- Maintains records of scheduled and completed assignments; documents findings in narrative and statistical reports; drafts written summaries sufficiently detailed and accurate for use in legal proceedings.
- Performs related work as required.
Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
Qualification & Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in fire science or related field and four (4) years of experience in the fire service; OR, an associate’s degree in fire science or related field and six (6) years of experience in the fire service.
Company: City of Tampa
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Sarasota, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A