Website College of Lake County
The Program Coordinator, under supervision of the Associate Dean, Biological & Health Sciences, manages food production for the campus local foods and sustainable agriculture activities, including development of crop production schedules and coordination of sales to food services; develops and executes greenhouse food crop transplant production for the department plant sale; maintains the horticulture department social media accounts; coordinates the collection of compostable waste from food service/cafeteria and manages the composting system on horticulture building grounds; maintains equipment and works with Facilities and Grounds as needed; assists in the preparation and tracking of budget; hires and supervises temporary employees; and performs community outreach and education.
- Works with department faculty and horticulturist to plan and implement production of food crops on campus for sale and educational demonstration.
- Manages local food and sustainable agriculture facilities and grounds including planting and caring for crops, maintaining crop and sales records, and maintaining supplies and equipment.
- Plans and executes greenhouse and garden pest management strategy.
- Coordinates with campus food services and food pantries to address harvest and supply of organically grown produce.
- Promotes, organizes and staffs weekly on-campus market.
- Maintains the compost system on horticulture grounds for class and community garden needs and maintains the composting area for the campus farm to process food service waste.
- Coordinate’s collection of compostable food service waste.
- Manages department social media accounts.
- Conducts temporary staff recruiting, hiring, and training.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to do physical labor and lift minimum of 50 pounds on regular basis.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two (2) years’ experience with direct food production.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, horticulture or related field.
- Experience with direct farm sales and marketing.
- Tolerance of outdoor working situations in all weather.
- Teaching experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders.
Company: College of Lake County
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Paramedic
Job Location: Naperville, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A