Website Chicago Transit Authority
Operates a bus over an established route adhering to predetermined schedule in a safe, efficient and courteous manner to allow passengers to board, travel and alight at scheduled stops.
- Ensures that customers deposit only appropriate coins and bills into fare-box.
- Drives bus and announces stops along routes.
- Operates lift to board and discharge disabled passengers.
- Issues and receives transfer cards (collects invalid transfer cards) and receives and returns fare-cards.
- Contacts Control Center regarding all problems.
- Tallies various categories of boarding passengers by manually operating a recording device.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Announces cross streets and intersecting transit stops.
- Inspects vehicle for lost articles.
- Prepares daily trip sheets and bus for service.
- Enters tally numbers from recording device at beginning and end of run.
- Removes refuse and prepares bus for pull-out.
- Inspects passes; ascertains appropriate fares.
- Required to see near and far watching stopped vehicles, checking passes/cards and general traffic conditions viewing of traffic signals and riding passes.
- Required to be standing changing destination and bus numbers, signs, helping people board bus, to walk to relief points, checking bus and sitting while driving bus.
- Required to climb into vehicle and adjustment of mirrors, to balance, to stoop to adjust driver’s seat, to kneel, to crouch and to crawl.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the rules, regulations and procedures relative to the operation of surface vehicles.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of pertinent state and municipal traffic laws.
- Must possess the skills necessary to accurately read and interpret bus schedules.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the fare structure, transfer regulations and the rules and procedures governing Bus Operators.
- Required to possess a knowledge of arithmetic.
- Required to speak in a clear and accurate manner.
- Required to reach accepting and validating transfer cards and fare cards, adjusting mirror, to handle transfer and fare cards; steering wheel, to finger operating fare box, horn, punching transfers, to feel distributing and receiving transfer and fare cards, to talk announcing streets and answering passenger inquiries, to hear listening to traffic sounds, signal requesting stops, emergency vehicles, passenger questions and radio monitor.
- Required to lift, to carry and to push of brake pedal and accelerator, windows and to pull door control latch.
- Required to submit to and pass drug and alcohol testing as mandated by the Federal Transportation Administration.
- Required to have an acceptable driving record and a valid State of Illinois Class “B” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or a valid State of Illinois CDL permit with the following three endorsements: KNOWLEDGE, PASSENGER and AIR BRAKES.
- Required to be at least 21 years of age.
Company: Chicago Transit Authority
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Chicago, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A