UNDER GENERAL SUPERVISION, MANAGES DAILY OPERATIONS OF THE ROSWELL FIRE DEPARTMENT (RFD), AND PROVIDES MANAGEMENT OVERSIGHT OF DIVISION CHIEFS, INCLUDING EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES (EMS), TRAINING & SAFETY, AND BATTALION OPERATIONS; DELEGATES TASKS AND MANAGES CHAIN OF COMMAND; ASSURES DEPARTMENT’S COMPLIANCE WITH STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS, AND CITY POLICIES AND PROCEDURES; AND PROVIDES ADMINISTRATIVE AND EXECUTIVE SUPPORT TO THE FIRE CHIEF.
- Manages a variety of annual events and special programs for improved community relations; develops community outreach activities to promote RFD programs.
- Evaluates RFD operations, and identifies opportunities for improving service delivery methods, priorities, policies, and procedures; reviews trends in firefighting and emergency services, and develops recommendations; investigates and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Coordinates the planning, management, and evaluation of the RFD operating plans; meets with staff to discuss and resolve priorities, workload, and technical issues; analyzes workload trends, and recommends staffing and assignment adjustments.
- Performs a variety of administrative activities including budget management, scheduling, and personnel issues; orders supplies and materials, maintains inventories, and assures that adequate materials, supplies, and tools are available.
- Assumes command of major incidents and emergencies as appropriate, and coordinates actions with other agencies; directs strategies, tactics, and deployment of personnel to achieve the on-scene priorities of personal safety, incident stabilization, and property conservation.
- Reviews, approves, and summarizes daily activity reports, and material and equipment usage reports.
- Supervises assigned staff; prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; oversees staff training, develops skills, and conducts performance evaluations; works with employees to correct performance deficiencies; assigns work, and reviews the work performed to assure that work assignments are completed according to RFD procedures and quality standards.
- Plans and manages daily operations of the Roswell Fire Department (RFD); provides management oversight of Division Chiefs, including
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Training & Safety, Fire Marshal, and Battalion Operations; assures Department’s activities are in compliance with state and federal laws, and City policies and procedures; represents RFD Fire Chief at meetings as directed.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Roswell and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Promoting and enforcing safe work practices.
- Making independent decisions, maintaining composure, and working effectively under stressful conditions and emergency situations.
- Managing the maintenance and repair of firefighting facilities, vehicles, and equipment.
- Recognizing the construction, contents, and occupancy of buildings and other emergency incident scenes in order to apply appropriate firefighting, rescue, and emergency medical techniques.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, and working as a team member with other emergency services agencies.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Supervising staff, prioritizing multiple tasks and projects, delegating tasks and authority, and evaluating staff performance.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software.
- Operating and maintaining computer and communications equipment.
- Assuming command-level responsibilities, and coordinating firefighting, rescue, and emergency medical services under complex emergency conditions.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and the public.
Qualification & Experience:
- Age: open
- Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Associate’s Degree in Fire Science, Emergency Medicine, or Public Administration is preferred.
- Experience: Eight years’ experience as a full time paid Firefighter. Two of the eight years must be as a company officer and/or Chief Officer.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Santa Fe, NM, US
Application Deadline: N/A