The Paralegal Specialist provides legal/administrative support in all areas of criminal law, international law, civil/administrative law, contract law, and fiscal law. They assist judges, Judge Advocates, and unit commanders with a wide range of legal matters and judicial work.
- Paralegal support to unit commanders and the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate.
- Provide legal documents in courts-martial, Article 15 actions, and other military justice matters.
- Review line of duty determinations, AR 15-6 investigations, separation board proceedings, and other administrative law matters.
- Assistance in family law such as powers of attorney, wills, and separation decrees.
- Training for a paralegal specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training, and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
Some Of The Skills You’ll Learn Are
- Legal terminology and research techniques.
- Preparation of legal documents.
- Army judicial process.
- Interviewing witnesses.
- Ability to supervise those in command.
- Provide technical guidance to subordinates.
- Maintain law/administrative library.
- Monitor and review actions for accuracy.
- Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and 30 days paid vacation.
- In the U.S. Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
Future Civilian Careers
- The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as a legal assistant, paralegal, or court clerk.
Partnership For Youth Success (PAYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military-friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company.
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation.
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
- Home Depot.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Full-time, Part-time.