Website Houston Police Department
As patrol officers, the majority of the day will most likely be spent sitting in a patrol car for long hours at a time. Officers may be required to work shift-work (evening and night shift) and conduct patrol duties by foot or bicycle. Officers will be subject to the conditions of the weather (hot, cold, raining, etc.) Officers may be subject to dangerous and stressful situations on a daily basis.
- Candidates will receive training in various law enforcement activities such as self-defense, crime scenes, weapon use, and pursuit driving.
- Successful graduates will be temporarily assigned to a patrol station for further training and evaluation.
- Candidates who pass all phases of the evaluation process will be expected to enforce federal, state, and local laws.
- Some of the essential patrol functions are answering citizen’s calls, settling disputes, report writing, accident investigations, handling public disorder complaints, responding to alarms, making arrests, searching for suspects, gathering evidence, taking statements, securing property, and providing testimony in court.
- At least 48 semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university with at minimum of a 2.0 grade point average;
- A minimum of 18 months active duty in the United States armed forces and received an honorable discharge;
- At least three years of full-time employment as a peace officer licensed by TCOLE or an equivalent licensing entity in another state.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and a resident of the United States for a period of time sufficient to conduct a comprehensive background investigation. Consideration given for military assignments and students who were full-time residents at college.
- Must pass a Physical Agility Test.
- Must pass a Reading Comprehension Test
- Must have a valid driver license and proof of liability insurance.
- Must have a driving record that reflects prudence and maturity.
Company: Houston Police Department
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A