Website Kansas City Southern
The Kansas City Southern Railway Company (KCSR) train dispatchers use computers and radio communications to control the safe movement of trains throughout the Company’s (9) nine state network. Not unlike an air traffic controller, Train dispatchers constantly monitor train movement and conditions affecting their movement, taking immediate action when necessary. A computer aided dispatching system assist dispatchers in safely and efficiently routing trains.
- Coordinate track usage with Engineering Department personnel.
- Operate controls to activate track switches and traffic signals. Remotely apply and remove blocking devices.
- Direct and coordinate railroad traffic, issue permits and authorities, monitor all rail movements and maintain computerized records of all activities.
- Communicate with personnel on weather or any environmental conditions affecting train movement, and reroute, stop or change speed of trains.
- Plan in advance for smooth and effective movement of priority trains, trains containing hazardous material or restricted shipments, and meets/passes to avoid unnecessary delays.
- Monitor computerized train control panels that indicate location of trains by lights.
- Report alleged violations of operating rules and any irregularity relating to the movement of trains.
- Know assigned territory and keep informed of changes in the physical characteristics or changes in train orders and schedules.
- Maintain familiarity with scheduled runs, destinations, times of arrivals and departures.
- MCS (Management Control System) and TMDS (Train Management Dispatch System) experience preferred
- Superior interpersonal and analytical skills
- Prior supervisory experience, transportation industry (especially railroad), military or air traffic controller experience is a definite plus.
- Multi-tasking is a must
- This is a safety-sensitive position subject to toxicological testing
- Minimum qualifications must be maintained during the training
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- GCOR Qualified
- Demonstrate a strong aptitude for utilizing information systems and thrive in a fast-paced, pressure-filled work environment with changing priorities
- Ability to speak clearly read and understand operating and safety rules, exercise superior judgment, analyze problems and develop action plans containing corrective action
Company: Kansas City Southern
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Kansas City, MO
Application Deadline: N/A