Website Metra Commuter Rail
Metra’s Human Resources Department’s mission is to recruit and retain qualified employees in a diverse workforce; treat all employees fairly; facilitate training and professional development for career growth; effectively manage and administer compensation; negotiate and administer flexible benefit programs that provide quality and value; administer medical leaves and related services; promote wellness; provide confidential and efficient records administration; ensure that Metra’s policies and procedures comply with all laws governing employment, benefits and other ancillary services; and foster an environment of trust and mutual respect with employees as well as internal and external partners. Human Resources is staffed with 30 employees.
- The primary duties include collaborate with staff to develop strategies that align with department and organizational goals, increase operational efficiencies, and promote cost effective practices.
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with union representatives that facilitate the effective resolution of issues, sustain a foundation for constructive dialogue, and produce the best possible results for Metra.
- Confer with internal customers on labor and operational needs; assess their alignment with Metra’s short-term and long-term strategies; and research issues, evaluate alternatives, and recommend solutions.
- Support the full-cycle of labor negotiations including preparation, economic analysis, and implementation.
- Research and maintain benchmarks, identify on-property or industry-specific concerns, attend and potentially conduct negotiations, draft clear language for agreed terms, and assist in the implementation of agreements.
- Provide expert guidance to departments on the proper interpretation of collective bargaining agreements, research and prepare well-written documentation of findings, and defend Metra’s position related to questions or claims.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- Highly proficient in computer based legal research.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365, with emphasis on Word, Excel, and Outlook. Database skills desirable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- In addition to #1, must have five years of labor relations experience, that includes collective bargaining, contract administration, and/or administrative hearings.
- Good knowledge of principles and practices of labor negotiation and arbitration.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects in a demanding environment.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and labor/management agreements.
- Must be willing to travel within and outside of Metra’s 6-county region.
- Must be available to work flexible hours in the early morning, late afternoon, evenings, or weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree in Labor Relations or Industrial Relations OR in lieu of specified degree must have a combination of education and experience that equals four years in labor relations.
- Good organizational, research, and analytical skills.
- Good knowledge of grievance and claims handling.
- Ability to work with sensitive information while maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Good knowledge and exposure to contract drafting and administration.
- Ability to independently analyze issues and exercise judgment in making decisions.
Company: Metra Commuter Rail
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Chicago, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A