Website Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
Serves in the Building Codes Department in the Office of Engineering Support and Real Estate. Offices are located at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD). Reviews construction plans, issues permits, manages special studies and analyses, and conducts facility inspections to enforce and assure compliance with building codes for construction projects and daily operations. Performs related functions.
- Issues construction permits, inspects facilities for code compliance, advises on remedial actions, and issues requirements and reports.
Serves as contracting officer’s technical representative (COTR) for building code contract work, provides technical direction to the program management consultant and others, and provides oversight for subordinates performing as COTRs.
- Conducts inspections of all Airports Authority facilities and properties at the direction of the Vice President of Engineering Support and Real Estate for building code violations, including tenant and information technology related work.
- Conducts building code reviews of plans, designs, and specifications of new construction or modification of facilities, airside and landside, on all Airports Authority properties.
- Directly and/or through subordinate staff, manages the comprehensive building code program to ensure all new construction and alterations and repairs to existing buildings and structures comply with the Airports Authority Building Codes Manual, Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC), and other building codes and standards (e.g., the National Electric Code (NEC) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards).
- Provides advice and direction on all building code related matters to both Airport Engineering and Maintenance Departments for Work Permits and other related projects, as required.
- Coordinates with regulatory agencies, the Planning, Design, Construction Departments within the Office of Engineering, and the Airports Engineering and Maintenance Departments on building code issues.
- Monitors evaluation of proposals, firm selection, and technical contract negotiations.
- Ability to speak and write effectively, with emphasis on communicating technical issues to nontechnical audiences.
- Knowledge of VUSBC, International Building Code (IBC), International Mechanical Code (IMC), International Plumbing Code (IPC), NEC, and NFPA standards and skill in applying them to implementing and enforcing a comprehensive building code program, including both permit plan examination and code inspection.
- Knowledge of construction industry standards and practices (e.g., civil and structural construction, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and elevator) and ability to apply it to evaluate construction drawings and specifications and ensure compliance with codes.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and ability to manage the operations and programs of the unit/team.
- Eight years of progressively responsible experience in design, inspection, or construction of facilities including substantive work reviewing, evaluating, and advising on construction permit applications, construction plans, and specifications for building code compliance.
- Knowledge of the procedures and policies related to contracting and procurement programs and ability to assist with solicitations and proposal evaluations and serve as a COTR.
- Ability to make detailed analyses of data and information and make recommendations.
- Skill in using a computer and office suite software, with emphasis on systems/software used for building code work.
Company: Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Arlington, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A