Website NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
NASA Ames Research Center (ARC) is currently seeking interested candidates for the Senior Scientist for Astrobiology position. The position reports to the Ames Science Director and is responsible for providing the Center and Agency leadership with expert advice on astrobiology, with a particular emphasis on the science of life detection.
- Responsible for creating and/or synthesizing knowledge that will aid in distinguishing between biosignatures and abiotic phenomena, while improving our understanding of the potential for biosignatures to be preserved over long planetary timescales.
- Serves a key Agency role in advancing strategic studies on the origin, evolution, distribution, and future of life in the universe.
- Conducts an active model-based, space-based, planetary surface-based, or laboratory-based, research program focused on life detection.
- Keeps abreast of recent advances in understanding the evolution and fate of life in space in order to develop and recommend strategies for advancing life detection technologies as well as to explore synergies and science returns from both astrobiology and fundamental space biology.
- Works with NASA and academic scientists from throughout the world to formulate approaches consistent with the Agency’s strategies in research, technology development, and mission formulation and implementation pertinent to the search for life.
- Provides Center and Agency leadership with expert advice on astrobiology, with a particular emphasis on the science of life detection.
- The individual selected will be required to file an ‘Executive Branch Personnel Financial Disclosure Report (OGE-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- Must meet qualifications requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Please see the “Additional Information” section for important information about COVID-19 vaccination requirements for federal employees.
- Successful completion of a background investigation commensurate with the risk and sensitivity level of the position.
Qualification & Experience:
- At least 1 year of this experience must have been in planning and executing difficult programs of national significance or planning and executing specialized programs that show outstanding attainments in the field of research or consultation. At least 1 year of the directly related specialized experience must be at least equivalent to experience at the GS-15 level.
Company: NASA – National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A