Website State of North Carolina
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) selects applicants for employment based on job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or political influence. Pre-Employment criminal background checks are required for some positions.
- Medical/scientific diagnostic (over 1 million specimen container kits annually) are assembled, which are then sold to hospitals, local health departments, and private doctors’ offices. A specimen is designed for a specific test or group of tests and includes appropriate vacutainer tubes or transport media and instructions, in a designated size, wrapped with a designated color of label (size and color coding simplify sorting of incoming specimens).
- Prompt customer service is provided.
- Delivery of completed kits to storage bins for later packaging and distribution.
- Achieving understandable communication using laboratory terminology, which is frequently difficult but essential for effective interactions to occur between the warehouse and its customers. Explanation of policies (particularly Postal regulations regarding specimen handling), descriptions of products, and recommendations for future actions are frequently requested by physicians, hospitals’ staff, and local health departments. Emergency shipments such as rabies vaccine may require contact with Highway Patrol, Sheriff’s Office, and/or private citizens.
- Specimen mailers are prepared with dated material assuring that the expiration dates are kept in order.
- Outgoing laboratory mail, including laboratory reports, is sorted and and placed in mail center bins for distribution to State Courier Service and that daily pickup and deliveries of specimens, packages and mail is conducted throughout State Laboratory, State Agencies, and at Raleigh-Area hospitals. Offsite collection/distribution involves the use of the Laboratory Van.
- Specimen and letter mail are picked up from loading dock.
- Monthly water sample bottles are prepared 2 days prior to mailing dates.
- General knowledge of the various types of US mail, and other mail carrier operations, and the proper method of handling each.
- Ability to learn postal regulation and apply these as applicable.
- Ability to pack items downloaded from the lab’s mailroom portal and be able to ship items via UPS or FEDEX.
- Ability to prepare and make kits based on materials provided by the lab’s stockroom.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Possess a valid NC Driver’s License.
- Ability to order items and maintain inventory of those items ordered from the lab’s stockroom.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public and agencies served. Physical strength sufficient to handle heavy packages and parcel post and physical stamina sufficient to work under inclement weather conditions
- Ability to estimate the amount and type of supplies, materials and equipment needed for container preparation on a daily basis.
- Physical strength sufficient to handle heavy packages and parcel post and physical stamina sufficient to work under inclement weather conditions
Qualification & Experience:
- High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Company: State of North Carolina
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Newport News, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A