Website Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Provide technical support and assistance to Regional Forestry staff in day to day activities on State Game Lands with a primary focus on habitat management activities promoting young forests in Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) within the Region.
- Maintain tools and equipment used in forest habitat management activities.
- Enter data collected by foresters into appropriate computer programs.
- Collects biological data for the white-tailed deer management program, collects ruffed grouse census data, completes wildlife food evaluation reports, and assists in other wildlife management activities as required.
- Assist foresters in the collection of field data for stand analysis, sale layout, etc.
- Examine trees, mark timber, and conduct volume computations according to a prescription developed by the forester.
- Use chainsaws or other tools to implement wildlife habitat improvement cuts.
- Conducts surveys and prepares forest habitat type maps for use by foresters.
- Collect and compile GPS data for management activities and produce appropriate maps for the approval of the forester.
- Survey and mark the boundaries of timber sales, herbicide areas, and other forest habitat treatments following instructions and directions provided by the forester.
- Assist foresters in the application of herbicides for forest habitat management and maintenance.
- Obtain and maintain required training, experience, and qualifications to participate in the application of prescribed fire as a habitat management tool, or engage in the suppression of wildfires when necessary.
- Conducts State Game Lands stand examinations and compiles information for use in decision making by a forester.
- Assist with other Bureau of Wildlife Habitat, Forestry Division and Pennsylvania Game Commission programs as needed and assigned on a temporary basis.
- Perform other job related duties as required by their supervisor.
- This position requires possession of a valid PA non-commercial Class C driver’s license or equivalent.
- PA residency currently waived for this title.
- Do not submit resumes, cover letters, and similar documents. These documents will not be reviewed and the information contained therein will not be considered for the purposes of determining your eligibility for the position or to determine your score. Information to support your eligibility for the position must be provided on the application (i.e., relevant, detailed experience/education).
- If you are claiming education in your answers to the supplemental application questions, you must attach a copy of your college transcripts for your claim to be accepted toward meeting the minimum requirements. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Must be able to perform essential job functions.
Qualification & Experience:
- Minimum Experience and Training Requirements – An associate’s degree in forest technology; OR completion of equivalent formal education in forestry.
Company: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Erie, PA, US
Application Deadline: N/A