Website Department of Labor
Plant, maintain, harvest fruit/veg crops. Harvest vegetables according to size, shape and degree of maturity. Place vegetables into field containers. Must be able to listen to, understand and follow simple instructions to ensure all work meets employer’s quality standards and food safety standards. This job requires three months (or 480 hours) of verifiable experience. Employer will comply with re-entry restrictions applicable to pesticides and other chemicals used in the field.
- The possession or use of illegal drugs or alcohol (exception is made for moderate alcohol consumption in company housing during non-working hours) on company property is prohibited and will be cause for termination.
- The employer, at no cost, will provide any tools or equipment necessary to perform required tasks to the worker.
- Tasks will be related to the planting, growing, cultivating, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, harvesting and sorting of a diverse variety of fruit and vegetable crops; and general farm maintenance.
- Workers will participate in all aspects of fruit and vegetable production work, including but not limited to: greenhouse seeding and maintenance; high tunnel weed control; bed renovation; application of row covers, stakes, mulches and trellises; transplanting of vegetables; installation of drip lines and headers; and hoeing / weeding.
- Participate in the harvest responsibilities by maintaining a neatly organized and clean harvest and storage environment.
- Workers will assist with farm maintenance tasks like mowing and weed whacking. All work must be performed carefully according to instructions to avoid damage or harm to crops.
- Crops may include but are not limited to the following: peaches, apples, pumpkins, corn asparagus, berries, tomatoes, squash, greens, eggplant and more.
- Workers must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather. Must be able to repeatedly lift and carry 75 pounds; crouch, squat and bend for long periods of time.
- A designated farm crew leader or supervisor will provide instructions and general supervision. Technical horticultural activities will be closely
- supervised; however, workers will be expected to perform their general duties as quickly and efficiently as possible without close supervision.
- During busy planting/harvest season workers may be requested to start earlier and work more than the scheduled 40 hrs per week. When weather is hot, starting and quitting times may be shifted to earlier or later in the day.
- This may vary depending on crop and weather conditions.
Company: Department of Labor
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Scranton, PA, US
Application Deadline: N/A