Website Smithsonian Institution
This is the position of Division Administrator (DA), Solar, Stellar, and Planetary Sciences Division, (SSP) Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO). SAO, with the Harvard College Observatory (HCO), comprises the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA).
- Oversees Division’s personnel administration. Participates with the Division Associate Director and project Principal Investigators in developing short and long range human resource needs.
- Maintains knowledge of personnel policies and procedures. Coordinates and assists in all personnel related activities
- Participates with the SSP Associate Director and Division scientists in both near and long term Division and project planning; including staffing, funding, and space and other resources’ requirements.
- Coordinates with both SAO and HCO management and administrative staff to optimize Division operations.
- Performs other related tasks and participates in special projects as requested by the Associate Director or other senior staff.
- Administers all aspects of the Division’s sponsored project activities, both internally and externally funded.
- Maintains cognizance of the proposal and award administration requirements of relevant funding agencies. Supports PI’s in the development of budgets and schedules.
- Coordinates proposal preparation and administers awards. Uses SAO’s enterprise Earned Value Management (EVMS) software tools in these activities
- Formulates, justifies, and submits both long and short range budgets for internal funds; and manages resulting allocations.
- Authorizes all expenditures. Establishes and maintains controls to monitor expenses and restructures budgets as needed to accommodate changes in Divisional priorities or unforeseeable funding requirements.
- Ensures the smooth administrative functioning of the Division. Serves as an information source to scientific staff on administrative issues.
- Evaluates, recommends, and implements improvements to administrative procedures. Supervises, reviews tasks, sets priorities, and establishes and distributes workload to administrative support staff.
- Must participate in Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds for salary payment.
- Pre and Post Background investigation.
- May be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- Req’d to file a Confidential Statement of Employment and Financial Interest
Company: Smithsonian Institution
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Worcester, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A