Website Smithsonian Institution
This is the position of Physicist (Post-Doctoral Research Fellow) in the Atomic and Molecular Physics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of this position is to train postdoctoral researchers to conceive, plan and conduct highly specialized research in atmospheric composition measurements, including those from Earth satellites, airborne-, and ground-based instruments.
- Assist other scientists and/or programmers in developing programs for and in use of the satellite and airborne measurements.
- Perform scientific studies involving atmospheric measurements, instrument calibration, atmospheric modeling, radiative transfer, tropospheric chemistry, and climate change.
- Prepare refereed publications and present talks at professional meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
- Analyze instrument calibration test data to derive calibration coefficients, improve and develop advanced algorithms to convert from raw data to accurately calibrated and geolocated radiance spectra, and perform retrievals of greenhouse gases for MethaneAIR and MethaneSAT.
- Participate in the implementation of algorithms on the cloud platform to make advanced atmospheric measurements.
Direct Deposit/Elect Funds Transfer required for salary payment
Pre and Post background investigation.
May be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Qualification & Experience:
- All applicants must meet these Basic Requirements: A. Degree: physics; or related degree that included at least 24 semester hours in physics; OR B. Combination of education and experience — courses equivalent to a major in physics totaling at least 24 semester hours, plus appropriate experience or additional education. In either A or B above, the courses must have included a fundamental course in general physics and, in addition, courses in any two of the following: electricity and magnetism, heat, light, mechanics, modern physics, and sound.
- Education for Grade 11: Master’s or equivalent graduate degree
- Combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and specialized experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
Company: Smithsonian Institution
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cambridge, US
Application Deadline: N/A