An employee of this classification does skilled work in the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead or underground subtransmission and distribution electrical lines and does related work as required.
- Installs/removes cross-arms and various pole top apparatus; types of cable; streetlight equipment; work site protection devices; residential and commercial meters; various excavations; overhead & underground residential & commercial services
- Instructs & directs sub-ordinates
- Operates various types of equipment and vehicles (may require class A license); mobile data terminals
- Connects transformers
- Assists cable splicers in network underground systems.
- Constructs/removes/maintains transmission towers/lines and distribution lines
- Climbs poles, structures or ladders
- Assists electricians in wiring electric substations
- Frames, sets, removes, poles and associated anchors and guys
- Perform complex rigging techniques; cable locating
- Performs work on lines energized @ 120V through 230 KV; tests on high voltage circuits
- Installs/repairs cubicle/transformer wells, transformers, capacitors & related line apparatus, sprinkler systems, landscaping
- Inspects trench, pull box and vault installation; customer service facilities
- Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record.
- Basic safety rules, standards and procedures, use of hand & power tools; Cal/OSHA laws relative to line construction; State & Federal safety rules & regulations; Hazard identification; Basic math; Line construction methods, techniques & standards (G.O. 95 & 128).
- Rigging practices/principles/procedures; Material & tool nomenclature; Electrical theory/knowledge relative to line construction/phasing/grounding/line voltage/transformers; circuit labeling; Materials/methods/equipment used in high/low voltage line construction/maintenance & repair; Mobile data terminals; residential meters, street & dusk to dawn lights and their application.
- Read & understand job & training manuals, safety procedures and their application on and around high voltage conductors & equipment.
- Read, interpret and follow written and oral instructions; Climb poles/structures/ladders.
- Maintain a positive work relationship/environment with peers & public.
- Perform physically demanding work for extended time periods; Work safely at heights; Operate motor vehicles, SMUD radios & mobile data terminals.
Qualification & Experience:
- Must possess the same knowledge, skills, experience, etc.
- As an Apprentice Lineman/Woman as well as completion of an approved Lineman/Woman Apprentice program including three years climbing experience in overhead electrical distribution work.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record.
- Obtaining a Class A Driver’s License after completion of the required driver training class may be required.
- Reside in a location close enough to their reporting headquarters to allow a reasonable response time from residence under normal driving conditions within posted speed limits.
- Work overtime and emergencies; Be “On Call” and respond immediately to emergency call-outs; Work special schedules as required.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Francisco, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A