To provide technical skills in designing, developing and applying real-time systems software and hardware and database administration solutions to complex real-time systems problems to support the safe, reliable and economical operation of SMUD’s generation, transmission, distribution and gas operations facilities.
- Interfaces with Energy Management Systems staff and provides database administration, system generations, system backups to ensure recovery, configuration control and ongoing support for Backup Control Center maintenance.
- Provides system software management by evaluating, developing and implementing modifications and additions on real-time computer operating systems, department networks, data bases, real-time workstations and data links between SMUD systems and other utilities for data exchange; by monitoring and evaluating system performance; and providing reports of system status and performance.
- Provides for the operation, administration and maintenance of the operations network and domain (operational unit) by planning and overseeing the purchase, installation and maintenance of system operations and reliability personal computers, energy trading and contracts personal computers and file servers and their applications.
- providing for the security administration and maintenance of the physical network; and establishing and maintaining the cyber security perimeter; ensuring compliance with NERC Reliability Standards, including but not limited to CIP.
- Evaluates, designs and implements assigned projects for development, operation and maintenance of operating systems software, network and/or configuration management, workstation environment and database activities for computer-based real-time scheduling.
- Operator Training Simulator (OTS), Transmission Network Applications (TNA), monitoring, control, automation, accounting and analysis of SMUD generation, transmission, distribution and gas pipeline facilities and Balancing Authority operations including federally-mandated hydro dam, reservoir monitoring.
- Provides consulting and training services to departmental, SMUD and other utility users and the user community in generation, transmission, distribution and gas operations, Balancing Authority operations, reserve sharing as part of the Northwest Power Pool (NWPP), power system scheduling, energy accounting, operations planning and systems protection and power plant security.
- Evaluates, designs, develops, installs and supports real-time client/server hardware, software and application programs and database environments to provide integrated systems operations for new generation resources, including local generation or fuel cells, and to meet user-defined requirements for Balancing Authority operations, power system scheduling, monitoring, control, accounting and analysis of generation, transmission and distribution facilities for meeting inter-utility contractual requirements and safe operating procedures.
- Maintaining real-time ICCP communication datalinks to BPA, WAPA, PGandE, CAISO, MID, TID and WECC for the transfer of real-time electrical data.
- The health and wellbeing of our employees and our community is our top priority. SMUD follows CDC guidance and adheres to all local, county and state orders.
- To this end, if you are scheduled to come on a SMUD campus, you will need to monitor your health (ensuring your temperature is below 100.4° and you’re free of COVID-19 symptoms), wear a face covering, and adhere to social distancing guidelines. Thank you for your support! Stay safe and well.
Qualification & Experience:
- BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university majoring in Electrical Engineering
- 5 to 7 years of progressively responsible relevant work experience with a significant level of real-time systems development and operations on an energy management system.
- Management of computer systems; database administration; participation on large-scale projects; support of generation, gas operations, transmission and distribution operations; support of inter-utility operations and practices.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Fresno, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A