Website U.S. Department of State
This position is located in the Domestic Environmental and Safety Division (DESD), Office of Facilities Management Services (FMS), Office of Operations,
- Responds to hazardous and contaminated spills of chemicals and waste products, completes spill reports and notifies all required offices and organizations of hazardous conditions in their vicinity.
- Conducts studies, surveys and environmental audits of the facility and its operations, and collaborates with managers during the environmental compliance audits to identify and develop corrective actions for noncompliance deficiencies.
- Conducts field surveys for endangered species and natural resources assessments, including avian, mammalian, amphibian, and reptilian populations, as well as forest stands and ornamental plantings.
- Consults with a wide variety of internal and external specialists including industrial hygienists, physicians, engineers, equipment vendors, & federal, state and local regulatory agencies in the development of environmental guidance and procedures.
- Conducts training for facility management staff regarding implementation of environmental regulations and their application to facility operations and maintenance (O&M) in ensuring environmental compliance.
- Drafts, coordinates, monitors, and reviews facility reports submitted to environmental regulatory agencies, and ensures all permits issued and received are accurate and up-to-date.
- Prepares memoranda and correspondences needed for program maintenance and implementation, and maintains facility environmental compliance records.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Annual Confidential Financial Disclosure required within first 30 days.
- One year probationary period, unless excepted by regulation.
- Verification of employment eligibility in the United States is required.
- Incumbent will be subject to random drug testing.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience developing correction action plans to audit finding and tracking status of environmental compliance.
- Experience working with established environmental policies, programs and procedures, to include inter/intra agency work on permits and reporting requirements.
- Experience managing a recycling program and working with facility type equipment such composting equipment, food waste de-humidifiers, etc.
- Experience developing spill prevention, contingency, control and countermeasure plans; and evaluating emergency spill drills.
- Experience conducting in depth environmental audits at federal facilities, including evaluating fuel systems, air emission sources, water discharge sources, HAZMAT/HW storage and recycling operations.
Company: U.S. Department of State
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Newport News, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A