State of Louisiana
Please visit our DOTD Career Center for more information about our agency:
DISTRICT 03 – UNIT 560 (MAINTENANCE-
JOB NUMBER: 03-9521-MEO-10252022-LR
As part of a Career Progression Group, vacancies may be filled from this recruitment as a Mobile Equipment Operator 1, Mobile Equipment Operator 2, or Mobile Equipment Operator Heavy 1 depending on the level of experience of the selected applicant(s). Please refer to the ‘Job Specifications’ tab located at the top of the LA Careers ‘Current Job Opportunities’ page of the Civil Service website for specific information on salary ranges, minimum qualifications and job concepts for each level.
MOBILE EQUIPMENT OPERATOR 1
– Class “D” Chauffeurs License will be required upon Appointment. Starting salary for MEO 1 is $11.99 / hourly with an additional 10% optional pay when attaining permanent status.
MOBILE EQUIPMENT OPERATOR 2
Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License will be required upon Appointment. Starting salary for MEO 2 is $12.82 / hourly with an additional 10% optional pay when attaining permanent status.
MOBILE EQUIPMENT OPERATOR 1 HEAVY
Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License will be required upon Appointment. Starting salary for MEO 1 Heavy is $15.71 hourly.
To apply for this vacancy, click on the “Apply” link above and complete an electronic application, which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities. Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their application to determine where they are in the recruitment process. Further status message information is located under the Information section of the Current Job Opportunities page.
- Resumes WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of completed education and experience sections on your application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) is an equal employment opportunity employer and serves as a model employer for individuals with disabilities. DOTD does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, disability, age, or pregnancy, and prohibits harassment of any type.
For further information about this vacancy contact:
Lynn Reed or Lela Babineaux
May be required to possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license or commercial driver’s license.
Function of Work:
To operate mobile equipment (such as that enumerated below) to accomplish transportation, maintenance, or construction tasks.
Level of Work:
General from a foreman or other higher level maintenance, supervisory, or administrative personnel.
May exercise functional over lower graded equipment operators or laboring personnel.
Location of Work:
May be used by all agencies, statewide.
Differs from Mobile Equipment Operator-Light by the requirement to operate larger mobile equipment with more complicated operating and handling characteristics.
Differs from Mobile Equipment Operator 2 by the restriction to primary operation of equipment that is lighter and/or less complicated to operate.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
50% Operates the following heavy equipment, as needed:
- Asphalt Distributor (truck mounted)
- Front end loaders
- Bucket/ladder trucks
- Cranes/draglines (lifting capacity >20,000 lbs but <40,000 lbs
- Dozers (<140 HP)
- Dump truck (tandem axle or trailer dump)
- Hot mix pavers (<40 HP)
- Milling machines (<90 HP)
- Road planer
- Road widener (<90 HP)
- Sewer Cleaners (truck mounted)
- Striping machines
- Track hoes (excavators)
- Under bridge inspection units (trailer mounted)
- Winch Truck
- Motor Patrol/Grade
45% Miscellaneous Tasks Related to Mission:
- Makes minor repairs to equipment as needed. Performs preventative maintenance, such as oil changes, etc…
- Performs other duties as directed, such as shoveling asphalt, digging footings for setting concrete forms, placing traffic control devices, delivering, loading and unloading materials and/or equipment, flagging traffic, operating power and/or hand tools, etc.
- Attends required training in accordance with the Department’s Structured Training Program
- Obtains/maintains CDL (required for MEO 2 and MEO 1 – Heavy only); reports CDL revocation to appropriate personnel in accordance with the Department’s Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Policy (PPM #25).
- May perform incidental repair and construction tasks such as bridge repair, drainage structure repair, installation of guardrail, fencing, fender systems and cabling at moveable bridges and other structures.
- May perform any other tasks as assigned by supervisor or higher-level personnel in order to accomplish the Department’s transportation, maintenance and construction mission.
- May train and/or assist in training lower level operators or laborers
5% May be required to perform other duties as necessary, including, but not limited to, emergency/disaster support activities.