Website City of Stockton
This position is eligible to receive five (5) Veteran’s Preference Points for entrance into the Civil Service. Veteran’s Preference Points will not be granted on the promotional list. If you believe you may qualify for Veteran’s Preference Points, please attach a DD-214 Member-4 copy indicating at least 181 consecutive days of service with honorable discharge with your application (see supplemental questions details).
- Reviews and examines construction documents for residential, commercial and industrial building construction and alterations; ensures that plans, structural calculations and specifications comply with building and related codes and regulations.
- Confers with homeowners, builders, engineers and architects to give information and interpret building codes and regulations; recommends necessary changes to obtain compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
- Reviews corrected plans for conformity with requirements; calculates fees to be assessed for projects and submits documentation for permit issuance, may issue building permits.
- Maintains records of assigned permit applications, incoming plans, applications processed, and permits issued.
- Receives residential and commercial permit applications and plans and routes to appropriate divisions and/or departments; enters plan check data into computer database; updates and generates required printed reports.
- Makes on-site construction inspections to confirm that construction complies with approved plans and specifications.
- Initiates appropriate action to enforce code compliance.
- Prepares correspondence to architects, engineers and contractors relating to the correction of plans and engineering detail.
- Advises building inspectors on structural and other building related problems arising in the field during construction.
- Coordinates construction planning documents review and processing with other City departments.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license.
- Must possess certification from the International Conference of Building Officials* (I.C.B.O.) as a Certified Plans Examiner within two (2) years of appointment as a condition of continued employment. (California Health and Safety Code, 18949.28)
- Possession of an I.C.B.O.* Certification is required at the II level. A valid California registration as a Civil Engineer or license as a Professional Architect will be accepted at time of application at the II level. ICBO* Certification will then be required within two (2) years of appointment as a condition of continued employment.
- Now International Code Council (ICC)
- Techniques, materials and practices in the structural, plumbing and electrical construction fields;
- Residential, commercial and industrial construction materials, methods and equipment;
- Applicable codes and ordinances governing housing and building construction, rehabilitation, alteration, use and occupancy; and
- Appropriate safety and fire prevention construction and building methods.
Company: City of Stockton
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Oakland, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A