Website Village of Tinley Park
The Village of Tinley Park’ is a progressive community that is known to be the 20th- largest city in Illinois and the 14th- largest city in the Metropolitan Chicago area. Our elite Emergency Management Division seeks a mature, responsible, and qualified individual to fill the highly sensitive role of 911 Dispatcher in our Tinley Park Command Center. This position is primarily responsible for effectively communicating with the public in stressful situations. This skilled individual must understand and operate the Village-wide enhanced 911 Emergency Communications System as they receive, evaluate, process, and dispatch incoming emergency and non-emergency calls for Police, Fire, and EMS to persons requesting assistance, in addition to requests for general information
- The 911 Dispatcher will assess situations quickly and accurately using appropriate judgment; determine response requirements and relative priorities of situations; use multi-tasking skills to dispatch units in accordance with established procedures;
- Question callers to determine their locations and the nature of their problems to determine type of response needed; obtain information from all relevant sources; prioritize incoming calls, radio traffic, and walk-in traffic for the duration of assigned shift;
- Provide emergency medical dispatch (EMD) instructions over the phone; acknowledge and monitor all police, fire and EMS radio traffic;;
- Transmit and retrieve information through in-house, local, county, state, and federal law enforcement data networks;
- Relay information and message to and from emergency sites to law enforcement agencies and to other individuals or groups requiring notification; and accurately record information on a variety of forms, logs, and computer screens as dictated by department’s established policies and procedures;
- Assist in the upkeep of department files; record and maintain security and confidentiality of all files, records, and reports;
- As well as understand and operate the Telephone Device for Hearing Impaired (TDD) .
- Knowledge of basic dispatch codes, standard industry abbreviations, and terminology commonly used by emergency medical services, fire agencies, and law enforcement agencies is required.
- Excellent customer service, communication (both verbal and written), and interpersonal skills are necessary, as well as skill in effectively dealing and communicating with people and highly stressful situations which may be for an extended period of time.
- Must obtain Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS) within two (2) weeks of hire if not already in possession.
- Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) Certification is required within six (6) months of hire. CPR/AED certification is required within one (1)
year of hire.
Qualification & Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent. Must have experience in the techniques and practices of public safety communications environment, including the transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems and computerized databases.
Company: Village of Tinley Park
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Tinley Park, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A