Website Village of Tinley Park
We currently seek a talented & motivated individual to become a key member of our collaborative, forward thinking Community Development Department, serving in the key role as Building Official. The Community Development Department is comprised of three divisions, economic development, planning and building.
- All three divisions work together to improve the development services for our customers and quality of life in Tinley Park.
- This role is responsible for planning, supervising, and coordinating the Building Division’s activities, personnel, and operations.
- This position is the authorized enforcement officer of the Building Code which includes the location, design, materials, constructions, alteration, repair, equipment, maintenance, use, occupancy, removal and demolition of the buildings, structures and appurtenances located in the Village of Tinley Park.
- In addition, performs a broad range of building, permitting and code administrative functions, including plan reviews, building inspections, code administration, interpretation, and code compliance.
- The position works directly with property owners, architects, contractors, builders, and residents to explain code requirements, answer code‐related questions and diagnose and resolve project‐ specific permitting and construction related problems.
- The Building Official works under the administrative direction of the Community Development Director.
- High School diploma is required. Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or building inspection technology is highly preferred. A minimum offive (5) years to seven (7) years of experience in the building design or construction industry, building or housing inspection, code enforcement, or closely related field with at least three (3) years in a supervisory capacity is also required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. ICC certifications required include: ICC Residential Building and Energy Inspector,
- ICC Commercial Building and Energy Inspector or ICC Commercial Combination Inspector, ICC Residential Building and Energy Plan Examiner(or must be obtained within 6 months of hire).
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Criminal Justice, Political Science, Business or Public Administration, or a related field;
- Graduation from the FBI National Academy, Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, or Southern Police Institute preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience, including at least three (3) years of managerial experience, in order to effectively manage activities of police administrative support services.
Company: Village of Tinley Park
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Tinley Park, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A