Website U.S. Forest Service
This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found on theForest Service website.
- Knowledge and ability to operate complex communication hardware including multi channel two way radios with numerous programmable frequencies and computers for accessing fire weather and fire modeling programs, and Global Positioning System units.
- Responsible for furthering the goals of equal employment opportunity (EEO) and initiates nondiscriminatory practices and affirmative action for the area under his/her supervision.
- Determines suppression method to use including hose lays, deployment of crew, point of initial attack, type of tools to use, and application of water, and hand line location and standards.
- Serves as initial attack Incident Commander on wildland fires, and wildland urban interface/intermix situations occurring on the unit and identifies and analyzes tactics and strategies.
- Supervises a group of employees performing work at the GS-04/05 level. Provides administrative and technical supervision necessary for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Performs wildfire suppression support as directed within training and physical and other duties as assigned.
- Performs the administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised.
- Responds to a wide variety of incidents as well as major hazard responses nationally based on reciprocal agreements. Ensures the maintenance of crew fleet equipment by coordinating repairs, making purchase, and scheduling maintenance.
- Development of burn plans, fuels inventory, pre attack planning, brush disposal, back logged fuels preparation and disposal, and NEPA documentation.
- Makes initial evaluation of fire situation, determines suppression method to use including hose lays, deployment of crew, point of initial attack, type of tools to use, and application of water, and hand line location and standards.
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- This is a Test Designated Position. You will be tested for illegal drugs prior to appointment and randomly thereafter. Appointment and continued employment is conditional on negative results.
- Must pass the Work Capacity Test for certain Interagency Fire Program Management or Fire Program Management positions.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service or exempt.
Company: U.S. Forest Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Category: Government
Application Deadline: N/A