Website U.S. Geological Survey
You must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance. Learn more about this agency
- Works with and/or leads a team of scientists addressing unknown parameters in geologic remote sensing such as VNIR, SWIR, and TIR spectroscopic properties of minerals using new calibration and mapping methods for multispectral and hyperspectral data acquired from airborne (including unmanned aerial systems (UAS)) and satellite instruments; develops new VNIR-SWIR-TIR multispectral and hyperspectral instruments and UAS hyperspectral mineral mapping systems; and works on and oversees classified and unclassified interagency projects.
- Communicates research findings and their implications in oral and written form to a broader audience, including non-scientists, officials of other Government agencies, and the public.
- Conducts original research using Visible Near Infrared (VNIR), Short Wave Infrared (SWIR) and Thermal Infrared (TIR) geologic remote sensing data to answer scientific questions related to rock type and mineral spectroscopic properties, mineral mapping, economic mineral deposit models, mineral assessments, land use – land change, geoenvironmental issues, and other geologic topics.
- Publishes results of research as journal articles, USGS publications, book chapters, abstracts, and similar outlets.
- Leads field studies to collect samples for spectral analysis, calibration, and ground truthing of remote sensing data; oversees the use of and uses field and laboratory spectrometers to analyze field data; and works with the spectroscopy lab manger to maintain and update lab and field spectrometers and other lab equipment.
- Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam and drug test.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver’s license & safe driving record.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationary period.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
Company: U.S. Geological Survey
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Reston, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A