Website Western Area Power Administration
Transportation Security Officers are responsible for providing security and protection of travelers across all transportation sectors in a courteous and professional manner. Their duties may also extend to securing high-profile events, important figures and/or anything that includes or impacts our transportation systems
- Engaging in continuous development of critical thinking skills, necessary to mitigate actual and potential security threats, by identifying, evaluating, and applying appropriate situational options and approaches.
- This may include application of risk-based security screening protocols that vary based on program requirements.
- Interacting with the public, giving directions and responding to inquiries.
- Controlling terminal entry and exit points.
- Operating various screening equipment and technology to identify dangerous objects in baggage, cargo and on passengers, and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft.
- Maintaining focus and awareness while working in a stressful environment which includes noise from alarms, machinery and people, crowd distractions, time pressure, and disruptive and angry passengers, in order to preserve the professional ability to identify and locate potentially life threatening or mass destruction devices, and to make effective decisions in both crisis and routine situations.
- Performing searches and screening, which may include physical interaction with passengers (e.g., pat-downs, search of property, etc.), conducting bag searches and lifting/carrying bags, bins, and property weighing up to 50lbs.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National and at least 18 years of age
- Pass a drug screening, medical evaluation, and background investigation
- Must be registered for Selective Service (males born after 12/31/59)
- Mandatory travel for training and occasional travel may be required
- Must be available to work various shifts and overtime, as needed
- Subject to post-employment random drug and/or alcohol testinglete a questionnaire and are subject to a criminal background check to determine suitability for Federal employment before appointment.
Company: Western Area Power Administration
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Accounting
Job Location: Montrose, CO, US
Application Deadline: N/A