Website State of Washington
This position assists in providing leadership and oversight of the fire program in Yakima County for the Washington Department of Natural Resources. You will have the responsibility of hiring, training, and providing daily leadership to both permanent and seasonal firefighters.
- Serve as a unit duty officer on a rotating basis
- Recruiting and building a strong, cohesive team that can work together in extreme fire environments
- Supervising and leading 1 Dozer Operator, 2 engine module leaders and 6 engine seasonal firefighters
- Implementing fire prevention and fire education activities within the community
- Determine safe and effective strategy and tactics during all phases of wildfire management based on available resources and expected conditions, all while providing for the safety of personnel and the public
- Building and maintaining cooperating agency partnerships
- Interacting with the public and promoting the DNR Mission
- Ensuring staff, resources, equipment and facilities are available for incidents
- Establishing Unified Command when an incident occurs within unit
- May be asked to serve as the Agency Representative for Southeast Region
- Building a positive rapport with private landowners
- Certified as a NWCG Single Resource Boss.
- Ability to work on uneven terrain in all weather conditions. Work is performed in an office setting (30%) and alone in isolated unimproved natural areas within the unit (70%).
- Team effectiveness- understanding and ability to increase team effectiveness by focusing on situational awareness, communication skills, teamwork, task allocation and decision-making within a framework of standard operating procedures.
- Must pass work capacity test annually at the arduous level required by current red card qualifications.
- Supervisory Experience.
- The incumbent in this position is required to travel. Requires travel (50%) to the field for project work, fires, or supervision, attend meetings or various trainings. Frequent overnight travel is required for trainings, meetings, and fire assignments
- Employee empowerment.
- A valid driver’s license and have two years of driving experience.
- Certified NWCG Incident Commander Type 5 or higher or the ability to obtain during the probationary period.
- Proven past experience in agreement and contract negotiations.
Qualification & Experience:
- A Bachelor Degree or Associates Degree in Fire Science, Natural Resource Management or a closely related field.
Company: State of Washington
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Yakima, WA, US
Application Deadline: N/A